When you get back to America after being in a poverty stricken country, it shakes every value and belief that you hold. It strengthens those values that are important and makes it obvious which ones don’t matter. You realize how big God’s plan is and how it makes so much sense to follow Him. My best friend and I were introduced to the idea of going on a mission trip to South Africa while attending a church conference last summer. God led us to Limpopo, South Africa this past June of 2015, and the frightening yet exhilarating decision to go on this trip was one of the best decisions of my life. Our journey to rural South Africa with Blessman Ministries had begun. We raised money and attempted to prepare our hearts for what God was about to reveal to us.
When you get to the airport and realize your suitcase doesn't roll right
1. It's wheels are jenky - hobble it along the whole trip
2. The pull bar thingy never pulls up or goes back down when you want it to - yank on it till it works
3. The wheels are super loud and everyone's staring at you - pretend it's your friend's suitcase making that obnoxious squeaky sound
4. Your suitcase is a duffel bag and never had wheels - get an ice pack for your back
5. You forgot your suitcase at home - just go with the flow because it's all about spontaneity nowadays anyway
When your flight attendants brag about this being "the longest commercial flight on Delta Airlines"
1. Make sure you have an aisle seat
2. Protect your pillow and blanket with your life
3. Get excited for all the new movies you'll get to see while you sit in misery for 17.5 hours
4. Hope that you didn't forget food to eat because the food is...well it's okay...
5. Try not to freak out that you're miles above the ocean as you cross the Bermuda Triangle
6. Get up to stretch because otherwise you won't be able to get off the plane when it finally lands
7. Have a party when you land with the new best friends you made during your extremely long flight
When the place you're staying "sometimes" has hot water
1. Pray your roommates take fast showers
2. Cut your hair so it takes less time to wash
3. Hope the hot water facet doesn't break off from your efforts to have a hot shower...it happens
4. Frantically wrap yourself in a towel and proceed to put on all of the clothes in your suitcase to get warm
When you're staring at the foreign ground while running to avoid tripping and then completely biff it on a tiny rock
1. If you're fine because you're a pro at not getting hurt when you fall then...
2. Enjoy the laughter that you provided for others
3. Accept that you will always be the clumsy one and move on with your day
When the security people ask you to take off your much needed glasses
1. You take them off wondering why this is necessary
2. They gesture for you to go somewhere
3. You start to go the direction you think they pointed
4. You almost run into someone
5. The guard notices and yells " you can put them back on now!"
6. You put them back on and realize he just wanted to check your eye color for your passport...and everyone is staring at you
When you get home from your trip and miss all of the struggles
1. Plan the next trip
2. Laugh about the memories
3. Write a blog to let other people laugh with you